Quackwatch: Your Guide to Health Fraud, Quackery, and Intelligent Decisions
Quackwatch, Inc., a member of Consumer Federation of America, is a nonprofit corporation whose purpose is to combat health-related frauds, myths, fads, and fallacies. It primarily targets quackery-related information that is difficult or impossible to get elsewhere. It was founded by Dr. Stephen Barrett, MD in 1969, incorporated in 1970 and
launched onto the Internet in 1996. Its activities include:
* Investigating questionable claims
* Answering inquiries
* Distributing reliable publications
* Reporting illegal marketing
* Generating consumer-protection lawsuits
* Improving the quality of health information on the Internet
* Attacking misleading advertising on the Internet
The above description is pretty accurate. This site contains many links to other consumer-oriented and medical sites. Given the overwhelming amount of medical-health information on the Internet, sites such as this one are sorely needed and enthusiastically welcomed.
The Ralph Nater of the Medical-Health Information Internet.